Getting rid of trees or plants in unwanted spaces can be very easy to carry out but removing the stump can be a major and difficult project to handle.
Having a stump in your garden or around your home can be unattractive and unpleasing to the eye; moreover, leaving tree stumps can cause tipping while on the farm/garden.
Tree stump removal is a very complex work to carry out yet you can always do it as long as you understand what is involved in it and you are ready to give it the necessary time needed or required.
When deciding on removing stumps, there are so many things that you need to put into consideration such as the amount of stumps you want to remove as well as the most prominent factors which are the age and size of the stump(s) you are dealing with.
Generally, the smaller the stump, the easier it is to remove and the older stump, the easier it is to remove.
There are several methods that can be employed in the removal of tree stumps and some of these methods can be easily handled with equipment that is easily found around the house.
Removing tree stumps can be very disastrous and difficult for those who want to get it removed by hand (even when using machinery) so it is always important to prevent your eyes, body, etc. with preventive wears.
Removing stumps does not have to be always difficult and hard to carry out; once the techniques involved are well-understood everything will work out well.
Also, the difficulty of removing tree stumps can be dependent on the type of tree to which the stump belongs so you should understand the plant’s rooting system before planning and engaging in this operation.
In this article, we will take you through the various steps involved in the removal of tree stumps.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are the reasons for removing Tree stumps?
- 2 What are the tools needed for the removal of tree stumps?
- 3 What are the ways in which tree stumps can be removed?
- 4 Grinding the stump:
- 5 Conclusion
What are the reasons for removing Tree stumps?
There are a number of reasons why removing tree stumps are considered essential. The presence of this large, thick structure in spaces makes things much more difficult and unpleasing. Below are some of the various reasons for removing tree stumps:
Reduction of space:
Stumps in gardens and other productive places around the home take a lot of space and this is not acceptable. Getting rid of them is the best possible way to make the best possible use of space.
They are hazardous:
On some occasions, stumps can be bare while some are usually covered with grasses. This camouflage can cause tipping while working and they can also cause damages to farm implements used around the house when hit.
This can cause something very bad and serious around the home so it is very important to get them removed (completely).
They are eyesores:
Having an old stump in sight around the landscape can be unsightly. The presence of these remnants makes things unpleasant and unattractive to those who have it around.
What are the tools needed for the removal of tree stumps?
There are essential tools that are needed for the removal of tree stumps and they will be discussed in subsequent paragraphs. Below are the various tools required for removing tree stump:
Petrol (gas) hedge trimmer: it is used for the removal of adjacent bushes around the base of the tree.
Hand shears or loppers: these tools can be used for the removal of branches and cover plants at the base of the tree.
Spade: this is necessary for making holes around the base of the plant and for cutting roots. The spade of choice must have a very sharp end.
Pick-axe: it is used for breaking up hard soil pans and structures around the root. They can be conveniently used for cutting roots and levering the stump up. It can also be used for clearing the base of root for a clear cut.
Axe: it can be used for cutting plants root.
Drilling machine: they can be used for making holes in stumps from any angle or side.
Bow saw: it can also be used for cutting small roots at the base of the trees.
What are the ways in which tree stumps can be removed?
There are so many different ways in which tree stumps can be carefully removed either manually or with the aid of machines. In this section, we will highlight some ways in which tree stumps can be removed and will discuss how to remove these stumps using some of the methods. The various ways in which tree stumps can be removed include:
- Removing stump by hand.
- By grinding the stump.
- By burning.
- By using a chemical stump remover.
Removing stump by hand:
This is the most tiring method involved in getting rid of tree stumps as it involves total involvement and participation. Below are the steps involved in the removal of stumps by hand:
- Remove lower branches and cover plants: adjacent branches around the trunk should be removed with the help of a hand shear or other suitable tool. Cover plants that may pose difficulty while digging the soil should also be discarded and removed.
- Dig around the roots: soil around the tree base should be dug up with a spade or shovel and if the soil is very hard, a pick-axe will be efficient in breaking and loosening it up. The root of the plant should be exposed before any cutting can be carried out on it.
- Remove dirt or soil around the root: dirt, soil build-up, etc. around the root (below it) should be removed with a pick-axe and spade. This will ensure that the root is not layered with hard rocks or stones that can make cutting difficult. It will also help us determine the perfect tool to choose for cutting.
- Cut the major roots: the major and large roots that allow for the firmness to the soil should be cut either with a bow saw or an axe. If the roots are very thick and large, a chain saw will be perfect; just be careful so as not to damage the chains.
- Push the trunk: push the trunk in different directions with full force to break off the minor roots around the plant base. If the tree is very hard to push, you can pull it with a wrap chain attached to a truck. Its forward and backward movement will help pull it out.
Removing stump by burning:
This is another method of removing a tree stump from an unwanted place or position. Before deciding on burning, you should ask the local fire department to know if it is legal to make an open fire in your area. If the answer is yes; then follow the following steps:
- Reduce the stump to a lower height: if the stump is high, you can remove a significant amount of the top region of the tree. Use the axe to break off some part of the stump and make sure that the stump is just some inches above the ground surface.
- Build a wood fire on top of the stump: the wood chopped off from the stump can be used to make a layout of wood on the stump. If that is not enough, you should look for additional wood that can be used as fuel. The wood fire should be built in a way that the stump is directly located at the middle or center of the fire.
- Keep the fire burning: make sure that the fire keeps burning and if needed you should get more wood to use as fuel. Make sure that the plant burns to the lowest height possible. This can take days to be carried out.
- Keep or discard the ashes: the remnants from the burning can either be left at the spot or discarded depending on what you want. When left at the spot or covered with topsoil, it will encourage the development of grasses in the area.
Grinding the stump:
This is the most convenient way of getting rid of stumps but it is very costly to acquire or rent. Also, it also requires technical know – how to use and you might want to get a professional who can help you get the job done.
Below is the way to get rid of stumps using this method:
Locate a grinder: a grinder can be booked from machine houses per day and the price can be at a range of $80 to $250 per day. You must locate a grinder as soon as possible so that it can be conveyed to where it is needed when necessary.
Cut away part of the stump: before working the grinder on the stump, make sure that the stump is at a comfortable and convenient height. If it is too high, it should be reduced as much as possible.
Work the grinder on the stump at a convenient height: place the grinder on top of the stump and use it to grind the stump on the circumference and maintain this to the root region – grinding it as hard as possible.
Get rid of the grinds: you should pack the grinds and discard it.
If you desire to remove a stump from your garden, you can always apply any of the above-mentioned methods to achieve the best operation possible.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article !